Sunday, May 12, 2019

University of Central Florida Graduate Admission Solely Denied Based on Felony

This past Spring, I decided to go back to school. I found a program that I would be perfect for me at the University of Central Florida. I wanted to attend the Themed Experience Master's Degree program at UCF.

I have already have two degrees. A Bachelor's degree in communications and an associate's degree in digital media motion graphics. The later degree was obtained with a 3.8 GPA so my academics were good.  I wrote an excellent entrance essay, had three recommendations and past work experience in the creative department in one of the world's most prominent theme parks.  I had the experience as well as the academics to be accepted. Unlike fellow applicants, my application to the university was not ever sent to the department for academic review. Had it been sent, I believe I would have been accepted into the program. Instead, it was stopped by a department called the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.  The following details my experience with UCF:


Timeline:
March 26, 2019 - My application is officially submitted through their online portal
April 9, 2019 - I am called by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities to setup an interview
May 2, 2019 - I complete a phone call interview with Michael from the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
May 8, 2019 - An official decision letter from Dana -  Assistant Dean of Students and Executive Director, Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities is received
May 10, 2019 (10:45 am) - I write an email to 3 recipients: Graduate Admissions, Peter (person I believe is in charge of the actual themed experience program) and the coordinator graduate studies for the theatre department
May 10, 2019 (2:30 pm) - Multiple emails received by this time - one from Peter and Graduate studies. I also receive an official letter from Graduate Studies that they support the decision of the OSSR.
May 12, 2019 - I decide to write this blog post

Here is the wording from the OSSR "I have reviewed your application for admission to the University of Central Florida. Due to the seriousness of the incident and not being completed with your felony court ordered requirements, I cannot favorably recommend your clearance through this office. Your file is now closed in the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Please note that this is only a recommendation and the College of Graduate Studies will make the final decision as to your admission to the university. I sincerely wish that this action was more favorable to your circumstances and I do wish you well in your future endeavors."

Here is the wording from the Graduate Admissions "As part of your graduate application, you provided affirmative response(s) asking about your disciplinary and criminal background. As per our regular business practices, this information was provided to the University of Central Florida's Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR). They conducted a further review and the College of Graduate Studies supports their recommendation to not clear you for admission. Please note that your application will not proceed forward in the admission process or be sent to your graduate program for their review. Your application to the university has been withdrawn. "

Its plain as day to me, I was never even given the opportunity to be considered for admission solely due to the felony.


509 inmates are positive for Covid / Coronavirus

I have been checking the BOP website every day multiple times per day and watching the numbers of positive inmates at Carswell go up and up ...