Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The "One Thing"

So here it is 2 1/2 months since I was released and I am still job less. This is getting ridiculous. I have TWO college degrees and cannot get hired for even crappy $8.75 hour jobs. I have applied for numerous positions and have gotten a few interviews. At the interview, I always do well and am likable. Very very likeable. It reminds me of the last Grey's Anatomy episode that I watched. The main character Meredith is out on a date with a guy named John who has a theory "Picture it: The date is going great. He likes her. She seems to like him. He’s funny. She’s smart. Fireworks are poised for explosions. Then she says the one thing that makes it all go south. Maybe she’s racist. Or rude. Or disrespectful. Or confuses they’re, there, and their. Whatever the case, “the one thing” ruins it."

Job interviewing is much like a first date and I always have my one thing that ruins it. Here goes (or some variation of the following) This is brought up near end of the interview not right off the bat. "I need to mention this before we go forward. I have a blip in my background. I had a misunderstanding with the Veteran's Administration about benefits and inheritance laws. They chose to prosecute. I took a plea deal and went to prison for six months. I was in prison from February through August of this year. While in prison, I chose to improve myself and help others. I lost 30lbs and taught Adult Continuing Education classes. Everything else in my record is completely spotless."

"The one thing" that ruins it. EVERY TIME. It has gotten to the point that when I leave for interviews, I tell my husband "don't worry they will love me and want to hire me and then I will tell them and never hear from them again." From what I am to understand, it is actually illegal to let my "one thing" be the reason they don't hire me. I am sure the companies that I never hear from again will say it was "some thing" else but I know the truth. I am going to be brave and start naming the companies I have been interviewed at in hopes that this will get them to start to act lawfully and accordingly. Here goes:

Universal Orlando where I worked on and off for 5 years before heading to prison. I was interviewed for a guest communications job and was about to be hired. Seriously, the next step was onboarding paperwork. I mentioned my "one thing" and suddenly a different HR person was brought in to tell me specifically that I could NEVER work there again in any capacity because of the "one thing". I cannot even do park services.

Target was an interview 2 1/2 weeks ago. This position was for part time seasonal stocking on the sales floor. I was given the job PENDING a background check. Never heard from them so I am guessing my "one thing" stopped that job offer.

Panera Bread in Apopka wanted to hire me. The store manager was super cool and just needed me to speak to the district manager about my "one thing". No problem I thought. So I was scheduled to meet with her on a Monday at 5pm in a totally different location about 20 minutes from my house. I am down for it so I go down there and at 5:20 I am told, she isn't coming and they will call me to reschedule. I never heard from them again. This was for a $8.75 per hour job that started at 5am dealing with customers who wanted to buy bagels/pastries.

Sam's Club in Apopka interviewed me for a part time stock associate position. I spoke with the person over merchandising and I agreed to the background check. That was 1.5 weeks ago. I am thinking my "one thing" kicked it.

There were a few other positions I did not get however I am not sure if it was the "one thing" that kicked it.The above four I know for sure, my "one thing" was the reason. I have bills to pay like rent etc. I haven't paid October rent yet and its the 17th. Not sure how that is going to happen now since it is creeping into the end of the month with no job in sight. Everyone judges felons on their past and seem unwilling to help them obtain a better future. I keep thinking that if I cannot make it, how are all the people I knew that are currently incarcerated going to fare? They were in for way longer than me and have almost no education. What is their hope, what is their saving grace? Is there any hope for us or are we all doomed to a complete life of poverty? Is anybody in the corporate world willing to overlook our "one thing" and give us a fair chance???

You want to know the absolute kicker to all of this - my probation stipulates I have to work at least 32 hours per week OR I risk violating probation and being sent BACK to prison. You read that right, I can be sent back to prison and resentenced BECAUSE I cannot get a job. This time I can get the remaining 30 months (which would max me out for my crime) of the sentence that was not given the first time around.


509 inmates are positive for Covid / Coronavirus

I have been checking the BOP website every day multiple times per day and watching the numbers of positive inmates at Carswell go up and up ...